Business Process Model and Notation.
On this page:
BPMN is a standard for business process modeling that provides a graphical notation for specifying business processes in a Business Process Diagram, based on a flowcharting technique very similar to activity diagrams from Unified Modeling Language (UML).
- BPMN 2.0 has a standardized XML format for exchanging BPMN 2.0 processes between different parties and software.
- BPMN 2.0 supports defining collaboartion between two or more collaborators.
BPMN 2.0 XML Extensibility
In the formal specifications chapter 8.2.3 the following is described:
The BPMN metamodel is aimed to be extensible. This allows BPMN adopters to extend the specified metamodel in a way that allows them to be still BPMN-compliant.
It provides a set of extension elements, which allows BPMN adopters to attach additional attributes and elements to standard and existing BPMN elements.
This approach results in more interchangeable models, because the standard elements are still intact and can still be understood by other BPMN adopters. It’s only the additional attributes and elements that MAY be lost during interchange.
When extended the BPMN XML is still understood by other BPMN adopters, but the additional attributes and elements MAY be lost during interchange.
- Testing different BPMN software packages shows that the extended attributes in the XML does not show up as configurable properties in other software.
- Modifying the “default template” in the BeeBPMN editor did not remove the default Altinn properties.
BPNM.io - bpnm-js
- bpmn-js uses BPMN 2.0 XML standard.
- bpmn-js is an open source BPMN 2.0 web-based rendering toolkit and modeler.
- bpmn-js can be extended with rules and custom elements.
- bpmn-js has parameter sidebar link